Friday, March 12, 2010

PADS Sleep Out April 17th


I was at the Young Professionals of Mchenry meeting last week and we were discussing volunteering options. PADS of Mchenry (Public Action to Deliver Shelter) came up. They are having a "sleep out" event in April to raise donations and awareness to help homeless individuals. As soon as I heard of the event, I knew it was something that I had to be a part of.

I would like to experience the feeling of being homeless as much as I can for the night. I know that it will be more of a physical experience than anything, because I know that I am fortunate enough to be returning to my home the next morning. I will be trying my best to forget that for the night. I am going to try to really get into the situation of being homeless and forget everything I have, for the night.

The only "luxuries" I plan on having for the night is the www.DougsCouch.com couch, my BlackBerry, and a camcorder. I have chosen to bring the BlackBerry and camcorder to document the experience and to connect with my Twitter and Facebook through the night. I would like to allow people to see what I see through the night. I am not planning on sleeping in a tent or inside. I will be on the couch in the elements. I plan to bring a sleeping bag and a tarp. That's it.

I have set a reasonable donation goal of $250. I think that is attainable and I also have a feeling we can gain raise MORE than that! I do not have much to donate and I am not asking you to donate much either. If you have a few bucks to donate, that would be great. If you have more to donate, that's awesome! I will be keeping everyone posted on where I will be spending the night April 17th.... until then, lets raise some CASH!

Donate Here!

Pleas share this with your friends also...

No comments: